Frequently Asked Questions

What is the difference between an optometrist, ophthalmologist, and an optician?
Optometrists, provide most primary vision care. They examine people’s eyes to diagnose vision problems and eye diseases, prescribe eyeglasses, contact lenses and provide vision therapy and low-vision rehabilitation. They administer drugs to patients to aid in the diagnosis of vision problems and prescribe drugs to treat some eye diseases. Many often provide preoperative and postoperative care to cataract patients, as well as to patients who have had laser vision correction or other eye surgery.

Optometrists are highly educated and trained to diagnose disease and pathological conditions manifested in the human eye, such as glaucoma and diabetic retinopathy.

An ophthalmologist is a physician who specializes in diagnosing and treating eye diseases. They also perform eye surgery and may prescribe corrective lenses.

An optician fills prescription orders written by optometrists and ophthalmologists.

What insurance do you take?
We accept Medicare, Aetna, BC/BS PPO, Beech Street, Comp Benefits, EyeMed Vision Plan, Great West, Opticare, PHCS, Superior Vision Plan, United Health, Vision Service Plan (VSP), and Vision Insurance.  Since your insurance may determine which doctor you will see, please let us know your insurance when scheduling your appointment.  Of course, HMO plans also require a referral in order to be seen by our doctors.

At what age can my child’s eyes be tested?
It is recommended that children receive a professional eye exam by an eye doctor at birth, 6 months, 3 years and before entering school. In general, older children and adults should receive a complete eye exam every 1 – 2 years.

I’m diabetic. Does that make a difference?
Yes . DIABETES can cause severe problems with your sight. It is very important that your eyes are checked every year, preferably with drops to dilate the pupil, so that the retina (back of the eye) can be examined thoroughly.

I think I have an eye infection. Do I go to my general practitioner or an optometrist?
An optometrist is a doctor that specializes in the eye. They have special equipment for the eye to provide proper diagnosis and are able to prescribe medication if needed.

There is a history of glaucoma in my family. Am I likely to inherit it?
If there is glaucoma in the family , you may be more at risk of developing it.Glaucoma can be treated effectively if it is diagnosed in time, so be sure to have a regular eye examination.